Jessica Flannigan holds a Bachelor of Music Education and a Minor in Jazz Studies from the University of Missouri-St. Louis. She is versed in an eclectic range of percussion performance including classical literature, jazz vibraphone, West African drumming, Afro-Cuban ensemble, and the marching arts. Since 2007 she has been teaching, writing, and arranging for marching bands, drumlines, and percussion ensembles in the St. Louis area. She has worked extensively with middle school and high school percussion sections throughout Missouri and Illinois, where her students are frequently praised for their percussion ensemble approach to the marching arts.
As a performer, Jessica was a front ensemble member of WGI World Class finalist Gateway Indoor in 2005, 2006, and 2008. She is the percussion section leader for the St. Louis Wind Symphony, and continues to perform regularly with the Washington University Symphony Orchestra and Wind Ensemble. Currently Jessica serves as administrative coordinator for the Department of Music at Washington University, percussion coach for the Washington University Wind Ensemble, writer/arranger for several St. Louis area marching bands, coordinator for the nationally distinguished Greater St. Louis Jazz Festival, and percussion instructor at Ft. Zumwalt West High School.
Jessica has percussion literature available through C. Alan Publications, and is a proud Innovative Percussion, Inc. Education Artist.
Jessica's responsibilities include:
- Undergraduate program: minor declaration and advising, degree audits, department scholarships, graduation certification, biennial assessment, senior capstones, entrance and exit interviews, Bulletin edits
- Graduate program: application and admissions processing, visits, funding requests, Bulletin edits
- Course listings
- Course evaluations
- Department handbook
- University College contact
- Assistant to the Chair: scheduling, faculty searches, tenure and promotion, department research, annual report, department social events, departmental files and directory
- Department development: manage donor database, coordinate donor events and solicitation mailings, attend Executive Advisory Council meetings, collaborate on donor recruitment methods and brainstorm future endeavors
- Facilities: field ongoing security and facility maintenance concerns, backup for technology-related classroom issues, Emergency Preparedness Coordinator
- Proofread concert programs and flyers
- Room reservations for academic campus
- Backup for purchasing approvals